I realized shortly after starting to learn how to code, and I use the would “TRY” with a capital “T” a Capital “R” and a capital “Y”.
That I really enjoyed the idea of “breaking” code. I like the idea of glitching out a project to the point of it being something unrecognizable.
The trick is to make the code still be able to function in some way.
There can be several ways to do this.
However, I have found that in order to do this effectively, I do need to actually learn the code.
Because, right now all it is is code experimentation, which I really like to do.
I still don’t know what I am doing exactly…but I’m having fun.
Lately, I have been working on learning are arrays.
The reason why arrays speak to me more than anything else is the effect that the array produces. I seem to use more arrays than anything else.
I do, want to learn more about coding. I feel like if I can learn how to make the arrays work for me the way they should I will be able to create SO MANY different things.
I want to experiment with how the images work with 3D objects and how 2D and even 4D objects can all cohabit.
This is the week of the Arduino, which I am kind of in love with. A lot, actually.
For some reason, the language of the Arduino is a lot easier for me to understand than P5js. I believe it is more straightforward that coding a design, but I do still enjoy that frustration as well.
My goal for this project is the make the Arduino do exactly what I want it to do, how I want it to do it. Instead of breaking the code, which can be fun in design, mostly because I’m attracted to the busted glitchy look.
So, far…I have three blinking lights that go around in a circle that have the speed controlled by the buttons. I want to change the buttons to switch the lights and possible stop the blinking, but continue the movement around the circle.
Blah. So, now…it makes sound…but…the buttons don’t change colors!!!! So…time to try and figure it out..
For my final project, I wanted to experiment with creating a digital collage and how the created shapes would interact with the photos by either adding to the design or glitching out the design.
I just can’t figure out how to make it work…better…but also…at the same time, do I even want to? The effect of the stare and the long drawn out slither help, it just needs another little tunnel…
What I ended up making for the video project was an ode to my little dude in the form of a futuristic mindset.
I chose to do it as a testimonial because I felt that would be more hopeful and personal and less removed that my original idea of a advertisement.
The video project was inspired by my dog who was once trained to be my service dog back when I felt like I couldn’t leave my house by myself.
The process for this project involved me thinking about all of the signs and symptoms that Oliver has already been trained to do and coincide that with a robotic dog that would offer verbal suggestions and help you monitor your mental health as opposed to keeping a mental health journal or something similar.
I wanted the video to be in the form of a documentary/advertisement, but I received some feedback that an advertisement would be less hopeful and more dark and manipulative.
Since this project was more of a personal project for me, I wanted to keep it simple and highlight the key roles of the “device” as if it was a well-known object already.